Benitez said: "I don't read headlines on the day of the game, but my commitment is 100 per cent - with the fans, with the players and with the club in general. I say 100 times my family is happy here - we want to win trophies at this club because it is a massive club.

It's all well and good Benitez saying he is not leaving the club, but I feel he may well be sacked if he doesn't deliver in the league this season. The American owners aren't slow to look for new managers, sure they approached Jurgen Klinsman mid-way through last season behind Benitez' back and I am sure they won't hesitate to give Benitez his marching orders.

I personally think the owners are getting too involved in Benitez' transfer dealings. Ok, I understand it's their money and they have a right to have a say on where it is going but telling Rafa he can't buy Gareth Barry because they already have Alonso is ridiculous.