Terry named England captain


John Terry has been confirmed as Fabio Capello's permanent England captain.The Chelsea ace, 27, will lead the Three Lions against the Czech Republic tomorrow night at Wembley and in the upcoming World Cup qualifying campaign.

He fought off competition for the role from Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard.Terry said: "It means the world to me."To retain the armband back is a huge achievement and I'm very proud."I was a little bit of a shock because Rio has been awesome for Man Utd."To get it again and lead the team into the World Cup qualifiers is a big incentive for me and I can't wait."

England boss Capello had trialled Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard and David Beckham in his first four matches in charge.The Italian said: "It wasn't easy for me to choose Terry as captain."But he has a big personality and that is very important for the team."Capello also confirmed Ferdinand, 29, will be his vice-captain.

I feel this is a fantastic decision Fabio Capello. John Terry is the best captain possible for England because you know John will give everything for his country. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is a true leader. Great choice!