Woodgate: Berbatov has betrayed us


Johnathon Woodgate has accused Dimitar Berbatov of betraying his team-mates. The Spurs striker is desperate to join Manchester United. And last night both clubs were inching closer to a £28million deal. (the sun)

But Spurs centre-back Woodgate rapped: “What he’s done doesn’t give out a great message to the supporters, if I’m honest. "The boys are working twice as hard for each other. If it was me, I would do it differently. “I would work hard for the club up until I actually left. I’d still be playing until I was leaving. "Even if I didn’t want to be somewhere I would still give 100 per cent because that’s the way I was brought up.”

The transfer looked deadlocked over the last few weeks, with United refusing to budge from their £25m offer and Tottenham refusing to accept anything below £30m. There were even reports from Germany yesterday that Bayern Munich were ready to exploit the stalemate with a late offer.

Tensions between the two clubs erupted when United boss Alex Ferguson gloated that Berbatov was on his way. That sparked Tottenham to make an official complaint to the Premier League. But United chief executive David Gill has spoken to Spurs officials over the last 48 hours in Monaco and a compromise seems to be on the horizon. The £28m deal being thrashed out looks likely to rise to £30m depending on how successful the Bulgarian is at Old Trafford.

I totally agree with Woodgate. I think Berbatov has betrayed his team-mates, the fans and most importantly the club that put him in the position he is in today. I think he has to go for the sake of both parties.

Roman Pavlyuchenko was granted his work permit yesterday after Spurs agreed a £12million fee with Spartak Moscow. The transfer looks set to go through if he passes a medical in London today.